Sender:
From:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Feb 1996 10:08:00 EST
I want to follow-up on (agree with) a couple of things Matt Wickey
mentioned.

On Saturday, when the outcome of the game was clear, Michigan
did get much chumpier.  It was a good thing (other than Luhning's
hit on Trzcinski), but it was too late.  Matt Shegos was letting a LOT
go on both teams from the opening whistle.  IMO, Michigan should
have become more aggressive earlier on.  The Lakers were
aggressive throughout the game.  Personally, I think Shegos should
have exuded more control over the game.  However, GIVEN THAT HE
DIDN'T, Michigan should have taken better advantage of the situation.
IMO, the Wolverines don't adjust to the officiating as well as many
other teams.  I'm sure that many people disagree with throwing an
elbow even if the referee is letting it go.  I don't.  It's not necessary
in all situations, but Saturday's game was a game in which Michigan
stood a better chance of winning had they started throwing elbows
in the first period rather than the third.

Matt said:
>        As a Laker fan who has complained, this is a concern to me also.
>        I'm glad to see lots of crowd support but I don't care to see it
>        take the low road.  For what it's worth, at my end we applauded
>        when players from either team got up and made it off the ice
>        on their own.

I'd like to add to my fan comments.  For the MOST part, the poor
treatment was coming from sections S and T, primarily students and
the band.  This is what I feel about Yost as well.  The students around
the CCHA and in this case the Laker band, too, seem to get more
out of hand each year.  (Yes, I get a little older each year, too...but
I don't see myself as being fuddy-duddy about this issue.)  I was
miffed at some of the verbal abuse directed at me by some of the
"older" Laker fans, but most of their abuse was directed at the UM
players...which I don't have a problem with.  Way too much of the
abuse delivered by students is directed at visiting fans.  What can
be done about this?  I don't have the answers, but in Ann Arbor it's
clear that the UM students shouldn't be sitting behind the visiting
bench.  That's just asking for trouble.

I'm simply at a loss when it comes to some of these things.  Hockey
fans, myself included, are way too confrontational.  And, something
that has been very (and painfully) obvious to me this season is that
you can only support one team and it has too be 100% black and
white.  I commented earlier in the season about the Western Michigan
fans being upset when my friends and I chanted "Under-rated" at
the Broncos when WMU was beating Michigan.  I equated that to
having no sense of humor.  On Saturday night, my buddy and I were
our usual selves...obnoxious Michigan fans.  But, we both stood and
applauded Sean Tallaire's (LSSU) 200th career point.  I know that
grinded some of the Michigan faithful, but that's tough.  I'd be happier
with the fan base at Michigan if they'd be more appreciative of such
things, so I'm going to be the black sheep and set that example
when I can.  But, our acknowledgment of Tallaire PO'ed some of
the Laker faithful, too.  What kind of thinking is that?!

John H ([log in to unmask])
GO BLUE...there's a lot of great hockey left in the 1995-96 Wolverines!