Sender:
Date:
Thu, 30 Nov 1995 20:46:03 -0600
I will agree with a number of people that there is a hair-trigger defensive
reaction by a lot of Gopher hockey fans, and it's not just on this list,
either.  Then again, it's not limited to hockey either.  Listen to them
talk about the Vikings, or Garrison Keillor leaving the state or almost
anything else you can bring up.  I guess it's just part of the whole
mindset around here.  Eventually, I got used to it and now I mostly find
the particularly virulent outbreaks to be more amusing than anything else.
My best advice is to just nod and move on.  Most of them are perfectly nice
people when you don't get their dander up.

The item that particularly gets to me is the sanctimony about only
recruiting in-state kids.  Maybe it comes from being one of the few people
on campus who was not only from out-of-state, but not even from one of the
reciprocity states.  To me, part of the 'college experience', as it's being
called, is a foray into cosmopolitanism; that doesn't come from recruiting
only in-state.  I like Doug Woog as a coach, but I really have to tune him
out when he starts on this subject before he drives me crazier.

J. Michael Jackson