Sender:
From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Feb 1995 00:29:03 -0500
(again, ctron seems to be having problems, so I am using this account
temporarily.)

Deron Treadwell writes:
>Barry Clukey, who probally is the best player to ever come out of the state
>of Maine, had two goals and an assist, and Jeff Tory and Chris Imes both had
>a goal and two assists.

With all due respect to Clukey, who has blossomed into a good player
for Maine after some early questions about whether he even belonged in
DivI, I would have to give the nod to Eric Weinrich as the best player
out of Maine.

Weinrich, out of Gardiner, ME, and North Yarmouth Academy, was named
All-HE First Team in 1986-87 as a sophomore.  He was also named 2nd
Team All-America and represented Maine on the 1988 US Olympic Team,
then went on to the NHL.

His younger brothers made a mark of their own in college hockey, with
Jason being a member of the 1993 Maine team and Alex playing first at
Clarkson and then finishing up with Merrimack.

Eric's accomplishments may have been the first indication that Maine
could produce players who were capable of playing at such a high
level.

On the game...I thought this game had been postponed until I saw
Deron's report!  The game was scheduled for WNDS-50 and with the
Merrimack-Providence game postponed, I turned on the tv at 7 pm to
find Maine-Lowell replaced with other broadcasting.  Naturally, I
figured this game had also been postponed, and I turned the tv off at
that point - didn't even bother with radio.  Did the game start late,
or did WNDS just decide at the last minute not to show it for some
reason (even the Preview channel had the game listed for 7 pm)?  Maybe
they were unable to get their equipment to the rink.  But I didn't see
a crawl across the bottom of the screen that might have said something
like, "Tonight's Lowell game will not be shown due to whatever
reason."  I suspect I was not the only one who tuned in and assumed
the game was off when I didn't see it.

Maine-Lowell was the only HE game played Saturday night.  2 HE games
now are scheduled for Sunday evening: MC-PC and UNH-UMA.