Sender:
From:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Feb 1995 12:23:34 EST
Wayne writes:

>Holy Cross is a Division I independant that chooses to play a mostly
>Division III schedule.  They are 11-6-0 overall with only 2 games
>against Division I opponents: they have now beaten both Mass-Amherst
>and, er, Mass-Amherst.

Holy Cross's second Div. I win came against Fairfield, who like Holy Cross
is a Div. I team that plays a Div. III schedule.  Holy Cross's remaining
Div. I opponents are Army and UConn.

Steve writes:

>Earlier this week someone had posted a rumour they had heard about the
>establishment of a fifth Division I conference to, supposedly, begin full
>D-I play in the 1996-97 season.  Holy Cross was among the schools that
>were mentioned.  I imagine that their success against UMass gives them
>alot of confidence in their choice to give up their indepedent status.

A couple of follow-up posts on hockey3 have indicated that this is more
of a scheduling agreement than a full-blown fifth Div. I conference.  The
teams will play one game against each other and conference "standings" will
be kept, but all the teams involved (except for Army) have ties to other
Div. III conferences, and they are not expected to break those ties.
--
Disclaimer -- Unless otherwise noted, all opinions expressed above are
              strictly those of:

Bill Fenwick                        |  Send your HOCKEY-L poll responses to:
Cornell '86 and '94.5               |  [log in to unmask]
LET'S GO RED!!                                                  DJF  5/27/94
"Top Ten San Diego Charger Excuses:
"6.  If only we'd had Shapiro and Cochran on defense."
-- David Letterman, "Late Show with David Letterman"