Sender:
From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Jan 1995 22:26:20 -0500
MAINE 5  Northeastern 1

The University of Maine ran their record to 21-1-5, 9-0-5 in Hockey East
with a solid 5-1 victory tonight over Northeastern at Alfond Arena.
Northeastern's only goal was the fluke of the year so far at Alfond.  An NU
player cleared the puck into the zone and all of the sudden a "ping" echoed
through the rink, and directed everyone's attention at the Maine goal.
Somehow the puck hit either the post or crossbar and didn't roll in right
away, but Maine goal-tender Blair Allison never saw it, and to be honest
neither did I.  A few seconds later the light was on and the crowd groaning.
 I don't believe even the NU players saw it either judging by their reaction.
Never the less, Blair Allison had another incredibly solid night in goal
even though he faced less than 30 shots.
Maine led 2-1 after two periods on goals by Jeff Tory and Barry Clukey.  But
broke it open in the third for three goals.  Thompson, Rodrigue and Purdie
scored the goals, driving NU goalie, Reynolds out of the game with about
seven minutes remaining.  Maine coach Shawn Walsh would replace Blair
Allison with Blair Marsh a couple minutes after.
Some others may disagree, but I believe this game was a testament to why
Maine is #1 right now.  NU is not only big, they could skate as well, and
they used it to their advantage very well through 2 periods, and at neutral
ice through the first two periods they were clogging things up and making it
difficult for Maine.  They didn't start out that way, but they worked it
into their game plan.  Maine adapted to what NU threw at them, and NU had to
leave it in the third period as it all caved in as Maine found the holes.
It almost seems as if Maine keeps themselves in the game, and waits for you
to make a mistake, or to make you make mistakes, then they burn you.  Great
game tonight, and we are really looking forward to tomorrow nights rematch.

BTW:  Maine weatherman are predicting a snowstorm for tomorrow, and if
memory serves me correct, the last time NU and Maine played at Alfond in a
rematch, in a snowstorm, Maine won the championship, do you suppose this is
a sign??  I hope so!
| DERON TREADWELL - [log in to unmask] |
|         University of Maine (21-1-5)       |
|     1994 Great Western Freezeout Champs!   |
|        1995 RPI Invitational Champs!       |