Sender:
Date:
Wed, 4 Jan 1995 17:30:36 -0600
The Mariucci classic was a wonderful series of games, and since they
have, for the most part, been discussed in depth, I will make but a
few comments on each game.

Friday night
------------

Game 1 Western Michigan vs. Boston University

Rarely have I seen a team completely dominate a team as well as BU
did WMU in the first period. The final shots on goal were 20-3 in
favor of the scarlet and white (scarlet is the color--hence the
Terrier mascot name Rhett--get it?). Only outstanding goaltending by
the Bronco's Brian Renfrew (the All-Tournament goaltender) kept BU
from leading by 4-0 or so.

Western Michigan must have been lifted by still being in this game,
despite giving up a goal at 19:59.7 (the latest in a period I have
ever seen a goal scored) of the first, because they came out and took
it to the Terriers in the second. I actually think WMU outplayed BU
for this period, as the Terriers didn't have much zip in their
skates.

But it didn't matter, because BU owned the third. And how.
Admittedly, the last goal was an empty netter, but after a few
minutes into the period, the outcome was never seriously in doubt.

Game 2 Yale vs. Minnesota

This game followed the same pattern as the earlier game. The home
team (BU played home team in the first game--fine by me, as BU is my
home team) dominated the first, despite not being able to put the
puck in the net.

The second saw some let down by Minnesota, and once again the
opponent scored first (for the 15th time this season).

But this seemed to be the lift Minnesota needed, as the Gophers
reeled off 6 straight goals, the first three by Ryan Kraft, giving
him his first hat trick as a Gopher, and it was the first hat trick
in the Mariucci classic, now four years old. Yale sandwiched the
Gopher flourish with a final goal, an unimportant goal that made the
score 6-2.

This set the stage for the final that most had anticipated (and
eagerly awaited)--BU vs Minnesota.

Kraft's three goals of the game provide some interesting information.
The first two looked identical in scoring, from Bonin and Trebil.
Bonin assisted on the third as well, which shows that he and Kraft
work well together. Perhaps Minnesota has a third started when McHugh
gets healthy. It was also #12 Jason Seils' first night of NCAA play
(he played a bit in the exhibition game against the Brynas Tigers
from Sweden). He looked good, and went on to look even better the
second night vs. BU. He had a great weekend, and I expect he may get
some more playing time, even with Crowley and Lafluer returning from
the juniors.

                                                Lee-nerd

"Violence is the last resort of the incompetent." --Isaac Asimov