Sender:
From:
"Anthony J. Frolik" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 Dec 1994 11:25:01 -0600
Wednesday:  UMD 6 Union 3

UMD beat Union 6-3 Wednesday night at the Duluth Entertainment and
Convention Center (DECC).  Union came out fairly strong, getting a
shorthanded goal on their second shot of the night on a breakaway.  Even
though th Dogs were down 2-0 at the end of the first, things didn't
really look that bad.  The Dogs outshot Union 16-11 in the first, and
they were playing well.  What we didn't know is how well they would end
up playing the 2nd and third.  The Bulldogs took control of the game when
the second period started and never looked back.  UMD outshot the Skating
Dutchmen 35 to 8 in the final 2 periods and 21-3 in the third

Last week I reported about Landon Wilson and Rick Mrozik.  We found out
that I was wrong about Wilson, and on Wednesday, we found out I was wrong
about Mrozik.  He did say he was planning on redshirting, but that
decision was changed and Rick played in Wed. night's game.

Thursday:  UMD 4 Union 3

Once again the Dutchmen gained a 2-0 lead, but couldn't hold on as the
Dogs scored 4 of the next 5 goals and then kept the third period
scoreless to gain The Swede's (Niklas Axelsson) first collegiate win in
his first complete game.  In his first three seasons he accrued 49
minutes between the pipes in non conference games, as well as playing in
two exhibitions.  He lowered his career GAA to 5.50 and increased his
save % to .800

The Dogs finish 3-1 against non conference opponents this season, all
against ECAC members (Vermont and Union).  The Bulldogs face Byrnas from
Sweden on Monday before returning to WCHA action the 6th and 7th versus
Colorado College.

Game 1
Scoring summary:
UMD     0  3  3 - 6
UC      2  1  0 - 3
First Period
1. UC   Albert 8 (Goulet)                       04:46 sh
2. UC   Sicinski 2 (Holbrough, Goulet)          14:02

Second Period
3. UMD  Larson 2 (Aldoff, Peluso)               04:55
4. UMD  Federenko 11 (Fitzgerald, Larson)       08:15 pp
5. UMD  Lidster 1 (Peluso, Federenko)           16:39
6. UC   Prentice 3 (Will, Albert)               17:22 pp

Third Period
7. UMD  Petrov 2 (Hanson)                       06:09 pp
8. UMD  Culic 2 (Arnold, Garatti)               13:08
9. UMD  Larson 3 (Petrov, Tamminen)             15:03 pp

Penalties:
UMD   3 for 06 minutes
UC    7 for 14 minutes

Shots:
UMD     16  14  21 - 51
UC      11  05  03 - 19

Goalies:
UMD
Lendzyk (19 shots - 16 saves)

UC
Villa (51 - 45)

Power plays - UMD 3 for 7, UC 1 for 3
Referees - Elvy, Chermak  Linesman - Klosowski
A - 4,715

Game 2
Scoring summary:
UMD     2  2  0 - 4
UC      2  1  0 - 3
First Period
1. UC   Albert 9 (Monteith)                     04:34
2. UC   Sicinski 3 (Monteith, Boyd)             06:16 pp
3. UMD  Fitzgerald 11 (Hanson, Sittlow)         07:57
4. UMD  Ciccarello 4 (Federenko, Peluso)        13:28

Second Period
5. UMD  Aldoff 7 (Fitzgerald, Federenko)        09:37 pp
6. UC   Will 4 (Holbrough, Prentice)            11:34 pp
7. UMD  Federenko 12 (Culic, Fitzgerald)        19:47 pp

Third Period
No Scoring

Penalties:
UMD   7 for 14 minutes
UC    8 for 16 minutes

Shots:
UMD     11  14  12 - 37
UC      08  09  11 - 28

Goalies:
UMD
Axelsson (28 shots - 25 saves)

UC
Koenig (37 - 33)

Power plays - UMD 2 for 6, UC 2 for 6
Referees - Elvy, Chermak  Linesman - Klosowski
A - 4,340

Anthony J. Frolik                            University of Minnesota Duluth
Go Bulldogs!                                    3-10-2 WCHA, 6-11-2 Overall
            My views are not representative of the University.