Sender:
From:
Arthur Berman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Dec 1994 07:17:17 -0700
        The following is an article by Norm Cowley of the Edmonton
Journal describing
last night's game.  I couldn't attend because I host a radio program
(unrelated to hockey) on Thursdays:

CZECHS MODEL OF CONSISTENCY

        Different opponent.  Same story.
        For the second time in as many exhibition games at the Spruce
Grove Agrena, the Czech Republic walked away with a 7-0 victory...
        This time, Germany was the victim of a five-goal third period
period as the Czechs responded to a between periods pep talk from head
coach Jaroslav Jagr.
        "I'm only happy with the last period," Jagr said afterwards
through an interpreter.  "It's in our nature that we didn't appreciate
the other team in the first two periods and we didn't play with the
effort needed."
        The Czechs managed only one goal in each of the first two periods
but came out flying in the third as they continued to look like one of
the top contenders in next week's world junior hockey championship.
        Tomas Blazek and Jaroslav Kudrna each fired two goals and added
an assist while Milan Hejduk and Vaclave Prospal chipped in a goal and
two assists each.  Patrik Elias had a single.
        Petr Sykora, the young centre considered a high NHL draft pick
next year, was held off the score sheet.  He actually put the puck in the
net late in the third period but the goal was disallowed.
        "It's the same like the game against the Russians," Jagr added.
"I knew we had excellent goaltending and I'm happy with how it's developed."
        While Pavel Nestak fashioned the shutout in the 7-0 victory over
the Russians, Tomas Vokoun was between the pipes Thursday.
        At the other end, Germany's Oliver Hausler made some big saves
during the first 40 minutes but he was finally overwhelmed by the Czechs
in the final period.
        Germany returns to the Agrena for the final exhibition game in
the three-game series at 7PM tonight against Russia.  The Czechs also
wrap up their exhibitiion schedule against the United States in Lacombe.
END OF ARTICLE

I'll be headed to Lacombe tonight.

Arthur Berman   [log in to unmask]
THE MAPLE LEAF FOREVER!!!