Sender:
From:
"Ralph N. Baer" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Dec 1994 06:13:43 -0500
I spent several hours last evening trying to ascertain when RPI used
the uniforms with the bullet logo.  I had thought that this would be an
easy task -- I would just look at each team picture and see what
uniforms were used.  However, the programs from the Holiday Tournaments
for these years, often my only source, don't have team pictures.
Pictures of players in action are often from previous years, and the
head shots of individual are also often from previous years, plus it is
hard (impossible) to differentiate between the bullet uniform and the
previous one, which had RPI in large letters, from a head shot.

The ornate-RPI-on-the-diagonal was definitely used in 1980-81.  In
1979-80 apparently, but not certainly, the bullet logo was still being
used.  Certainly, the bullet logo was used in 1978-79.  The bullet logo
was also definitely used 1977-78.  In 1973-74 the RPI-in-large-letters
uniform was definitely used.  I can not be certain as to what uniform
was used in any of the three years from 1974-75 through 1976-77.  I
suspect, however, that the bullet logo was first used in 1976-77 mainly
because I can picture Pat Hahn in my mind wearing that uniform but I
don't recall Barry Martinelli, Mike Prpich, etc in that uniform.  On
this point, however, I am far from certain, so I regard the period from
1974-75 through 1976-77 as open question.

Obviously, this important question is not closed.  :-)

As an aside to Ralph Slate, probably the only bullet jersey that has
any value is that one that Mike McPhee wore.  I did stumble across a
picture of him in that uniform.

Ralph Baer
RPI '68, '70, '74