Sender:
From:
"Luiz F. Valente" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Dec 1994 16:27:06 EST
>Posted on 8 Dec 1994 at 15:47:20 by Mike Machnik
>
>Re: Teapot?
>
>Dave Hatfield writes:
>>What ever happened to the "Teapot" Tournament?  Was it a local Div II
>>equivalent to the Beanpot?  I remember that Lowell was in it, but I don't
>>recall the other schools, or for that matter, much else about it's
>>history.
>
>Great question...I would love to hear more about the Teapot, since it
>was just before my time.  It was sort of a DivII Beanpot, also played in
>the Garden, and it featured Lowell & Merrimack (when both were DivII),
>and teams like Salem State and Holy Cross.  I think it was an
>invitational, or at least the four teams were not the same every year.

The Teapot was masterminded by Bill Riley, the former coach
of Lowell. The first tournament, held in January of 1980, was won
by my Alma Mater, Bowdoin College, over Salem State in a thrilling
game that included great goaltending by Bowdoin's All-American
and league MVP Bill Provencher. I have the 1980 and 1981 programs. I
think the tournament died in 1983.

Luiz F. Valente