Sender:
From:
"Robert H. Gross" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Feb 1994 16:24:27 EST
Hi folks-

Roger Demment, Dartmouth's head coach, asked me to forward the message below
to hockey-L. I know Roger follows much of the postings on hockey-L and
appreciates the different points of view offered here. If you would like to
respond to him personally, please send me the message at
[log in to unmask] and I will forward it to him. Otherwise, please feel
free to respond to the list.

The situation in the Clarkson game occurred near the end of the third period
when Dartmouth was trailing 3-2 with about 4 or 5 minutes left. Dartmouth had
pressured Clarkson most of the game (49-20 was the final shot ratio which
accurately reflected the play) and was pressing hard with their season on the
line. Dartmouth defenseman Trevor Dodman placed a clean but hard check on one
of the Clarkson players and got called for an elbow. After referee DiFausto
had let repeated maulings, trippings, etc. go for almost the entire game, he
called this one (which should not have been a penalty) at a critical point in
the game. The second penalty which put Dartmouth down 2 men, came from
frustration at having the game taken out of the player's hands
(unsportsmanlike conduct from a player on the bench) and resulted in
Clarkson's 4th goal.

It has been a frustrating season for the Big Green, who came in with high
expectations and never really clicked until the past two weeks - probably
about 1 week to late to make the playoffs. Wait until next year.....

Bob Gross

--- Forwarded Message from Roger Demment ---
was yelling at the refs after the handshake of the Clarkson-Dartmouth game",
I'd like to simply state that it is not my style to yell at the officials at
the conclusion of a game no matter how I feel at the moment.  I thought that
the two calls that were made in the last four minutes were questionable at
best, and that the initial call was absurd.  Another example of a situation
in which the outcome of the game was inordinately affected by the officials
and not left to the players to decide.  I did discuss the call with the
officials afterwards in the hallway and received an unsatisfactory and
distorted explanation.

One of my assistant coaches did get a little excited at the conclusion of the
game, and maybe Brian mistook him for me.  The bottom line is that the
officials should make every effort to allow the players to decide the outcome
of the game.

Roger Demment