From:
Dave Hendrickson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dave Hendrickson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Feb 1994 11:43:21 EST
I went straight from the hospital to Tully Forum (general anesthesia at 2, in
the stands at 7) and though my throat was a bit hoarse from the tube that
had been down my throat, the UMass-Lowell Chiefs made it worthwhile with a
convincing 4-2 win over the #2 ranked team in the country.  The strength of
schedule boogeyman can now kindly go back in the closet where it belongs.

Unfortunately, something was broken on the PA system so I couldn't hear any of
the official announcements.  In particular, I would have liked to have
gotten the shots on goal for each period.  It was my distinct impression that
UML outshot BU in both the first period, after which they led 2-0, and the
second, after which they led 4-2.  They played a lot more defensively in the
third, so I'd expect a BU shot advantage there.  Total shots for the game
(from the Globe box score) were 30-25 in favor of Lowell.

A couple other notes: Greg Bullock returned from his shoulder injury and
although it appeared that he was a little tentative at first, his contributions
were vital to the cause.  Also, I noticed that BU has only four seniors on its
roster!  As good of a team as they are now, they are going to be even stronger
next year.

First period
------------

UML had the better chances for the first seven minutes but McKersie made some
excellent stops.  Then the Chiefs picked up a penalty at the 7:12 mark and
BU had a strong powerplay without scoring.  Then at the 10:00 mark BU picked
up a penalty and with four seconds left on the man advantage, Christian
Sbrocca scored from Jeff Daw and Travis Tucker.  A minute later Dwayne Roloson
stoned BU with a great save to preserve the lead.  After the Chiefs killed
another penalty, Shane Henry scored at 17:42 with a backhanded roof shot on
a rebound of his own earlier backhander.  Mike Murray assisted.

An impressive period for UML.

Second period
-------------

BU had picked up a penalty with 30 seconds left in the first, and 29 seconds
into the second, Kerry Angus took a point-to-point pass from Ian Hebert and
shot through a screen that gave McKersie no chance.  Greg Bullock also assisted
on the goal.  BU narrowed the score to 3-1 with a power play goal of their own
as Mike Pomichter finally scored after BU had three good shots.  Jon Coleman
and Jacques Joubert assisted.

UML regained a three goal cushion when Shane Henry scored a powerplay goal
assisted by Bullock.  Lowell kept the pressure on with another great powerplay
that began at 10:23 but could not put the puck past McKersie.  Finally, with
the period winding down BU set up a massive screen in front and Shane Johnson
blasted one in from the point that Rollie never saw.  If I remember correctly
one of the players screening was Mike ("Rosie") Grier who at 6-0 and 250 pounds
(and only a freshman so he's still growing) is a BIG screen.  Anyways...
assisting on the goal were Mike Prendergast and Rich Brennan.

Third Period
------------

Gut check time for the Chiefs.  BU's goal in the closing seconds of the second
could have really taken the wind out of UML's sails, but Lowell kept BU off
the board in the third for a very satisfying win.  IMO the Chiefs were clearly
the better team in the first two periods but BU had the better chances as UML
played a more defensive style in the third.

Rematch tomorrow night at BU.

*****************************************************        ,-******-,
* Dave Hendrickson "Robo" [log in to unmask] *     *'     ##     '*
*        A Hockey Polygamist and Get-A-Lifer        *   *##   ___##___   ##*
* GO BROONS!!!      Go Red Wings!!     Go LA Kings! *  *   ##|   ___  \##   *
* GO UMASS-LOWELL!!!    Go Maine!!           Go BU! * *      |  |___)  |     *
* Although I can't remember ever having an original * *      |  |___)  |     *
* thought, and am certainly parroting someone who   *  *   ##|________/##   *
* actually has a brain, these opinions are mine,    *   *##      ##      ##*
* not Hewlett-Packard's.                            *     *,     ##     ,*