From:
Richard Hungerford <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard Hungerford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Feb 1993 15:26:23 EST
Saturday's afternoon match at Bright Hockey Center was an entertaining
affair.  A couple of years ago the Saints were a struggling club side.
They have developed into a wonderful hockey program.  I would class
them as a good Ivy League team.  They aren't ready to challenge the
Big Five, but they are playing real good hockey.

The first period was scoreless.  Harvard managed to keep it an up and
down close game in the first.  Megan Hall, of the second line, has be-
come a catalyst for her linemates.  Several times early in the game
she created scoring plays for herself and her teammates.  The second
period saw St. Lawrence gradually put the pressure on the Crimson.
Wendy Hall (Julie Barnett, Emily Woods) opened the scoring for the
Saints on a sweeping play that finished off right in front of the net
off a break-in.

In the third period Michele Amidon (Michele Selzer) roofed a shot after
a nice setup.  The Saints finished their scoring when Jen Boteler
(Woods, Selzer) scored from the right point, after a ton of pressure.
Harvard made the score look close by adding two late goals.  Jo-anni
Alissi (Holly Leitzes) scored a power play goal on a low shot from
the right point.  Alissi (Stacy Kellogg, Megan Hall) scored a second
goal when the Crimson had pulled their goalie for an extra attacker
in the dying second of the game.  The goal came off a goal mouth
scramble.

I was much impressed with the Saints.  Michele Amidon is a wonderful
player to watch.  She is big, strong, can skate and has a great shot.
I may have seen her on an off day, but to me, she could be a dominate
player, if she kept her feet moving.  Linemate Michele Selzer was also
a joy to watch.  The way she held onto the puck and moved into the
Harvard zone, and than made the killer pass, was marvelous.  I liked
the play of Emily Woods on defense, as she was able to not only counter
Crimson attacks, but make good offensive passes.  Overall I was happy
to see a team improve as much as that team has.  Nice going St.
Lawrence.

The scoreline somewhat flatters Harvard.  The two late goals made the
game sound better for them than it was.  The poor play from the Yale
game sort of haunted them.  Joey Alissi, besides getting the two goals
played a strong two-way game.  In addition to Megan Hall's contribution
on the second line, Winkie Mleczko had another good game on defense.
She continues to be a solidifying force back on the blue line.

Overall, a fun game to watch.  I look forward to seeing more of
the Saints in years to come.

/
 good shooting
 rhun