From:
Michael Burger <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Burger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Feb 1993 13:19:57 -0700
Being a percussionist for the Michigan Hockey Band from 1987-1990 and
in the Alumni version until present, I have some thoughts of my own.

--If a main purpose of a band is to draw attention to themselves by
playing during breaks and just being generally annoying, they are a
discredit to themselves.  For example, the Michigan Tech band at this
year's GLI had this little eight beat ditty that they played over and
over and over again.  The full band would play it during the break,
followed by a piccolo and drums WHILE PLAY WAS GOING ON, and back to
full band at the next break.  This is unacceptable in my view because
the game should be the major attention, not the band.  Not only that,
it was depriving our band from playing the next break.

--Which brings me to my next point.  If two bands have to be there, they
should get together and alternate.  Who plays first and so on is very
important.  True musicians do not try to show somebody else up, they
try to complement each other.

--However, I do believe that the home team has the right not to allow
the visiting band in.  Hockey arenas are small and having a second band
means loss of $$$.  Also, it is supposed to be a home court advantage.
The only sport visiting bands are allowed is football, namely because
the size of the arena can dictate two people playing at the same time.
However, it is still the option of the home team to refuse entrance
to a visiting band.  I realize that neutral sites are a different story,
but with the proper cooperation neutral site games can have two bands.
Home games should stick with one.

*  Mike Burger                    *  My Canada includes, Quebec, Ontario,     *
*  [log in to unmask]        *  the Maritimes, the Prairies, and Florida *
*  A Beginning Computing TA Stud  *  four months a year.                      *
*  over 500 students served       *    --Royal Canadian Air Farce             *
*      University of Michigan - 1990  --  Colorado State University - 199?    *