From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Dec 1992 03:04:15 EST
Greg writes:
>Mike writes:
>> the unfortunate situation where RPI tried to get in (Alaska's)
>>tourney and was rejected by the Ivies, who turned around and
>>allowed Yale to go instead.
>
>Do conference members have to approve how teams spend their NC games?
>Could Mike or someone please explain?

The news on this situation was posted here about 9 months ago; I forget
exactly when and haven't had the time to dig out the post myself.  I
apologize for making reference to this and then not clarifying it.  Here's
what I remember:

RPI wanted to play in the Great Alaska Face Off, but doing so would have
put them at least one game over the ECAC limit of 30 games, even though
they still would have been under the NC$$ limit and the games were in
Alaska; something I was unaware of until then was that apparently ECAC/Ivy
teams have to apply for a "dispensation" from the other members if they
want to exceed the limit.  This dispensation was denied with the Ivies
voting either unanimously or nearly unanimously against it.  With a slot in
the Face Off still open, Yale then applied for a dispensation of its own to
play the games, which would put them 3 over the Ivy limit of 26 games.
This dispensation was approved, either unanimously or nearly unanimously by
the Ivies; I do not recall whether the entire ECAC or only the Ivies had to
vote on Yale's request.

The person who posted the news is still here on h-l, however, I won't
mention his/her name unless he/she wishes to comment on it again.  I am
pretty sure I got the details right.
---
Mike Machnik    [log in to unmask]   Color Voice of the Merrimack Warriors
(Any opinions expressed above are strictly those of the poster.)    *HMN*