From:
Ken Kretsch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Nov 2011 21:52:12 -0500
The Red Hot Hockey match between BU and Cornell was a defensive gem, with BU
wining in OT, 2 to 1. Both teams played excellent defense; you can't really
say that the offenses played poorly as both sides had many breakouts and
rushes. Cornell defended them at blue line, BU defended closer to the net.
Both goalies were not really tested, but they were steady. The three goals
were redirects. BU outplayed Cornell in the first period, Cornell took the
next two, and BU, obviously, won the OT. BU played well in the OT; their
goal wasn't a fluke.

The most interesting moment was when a Cornell shot was deflected high into
the air. Everyone lost track of it until if fell onto the back of the BU
goalie and into the net. Cornell thought it had a goal, and wasted little
time telling the goalie whose fault was. but the goal was eventually waived
off after the refs checked  the video. I watched the replay of the game and
you can clearly hear the whistle just before the puck hits the goalie's
back.

The atmosphere was electric. The game sold out; the announced attendance was
18,400, I believe, most in red. Lots of students but us old alums cheered
right along. In the past two games, the fans seemed to be mostly Cornell but
this year was closer to 50-50. Both bands were hot, the fans rolled out all
their customary cheers, and you be happy to know that the BU student section
found Waldo. The biggest cheer of the night, other than the goals, was when
"BU legend" Mike Eruzione was introduced; even the Cornell fans stood and
cheered. Anyway, both teams are young, so the 2013 game should be awesome.

Amusing anecdote: Upon seeing my "Boston" shirt, a Carnellian fan started in
with the whole safety school thing. Sheesh, you think an Ivy Leaguer could
come up with something better after all this time. Anyway, I immediately
retorted, "I know, I know, I didn't get into Harvard either."  Her reaction,
priceless.

Ken Kretsch