From:
Arik Marks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Mar 2006 22:54:25 -0500
Apologies to the list if anyone thought i was not being civil.  I was doing
my best to call out what I thought was someone else's incivility.

It's unfortunate  that this entire discussion was premeditated as best I can
tell by the following two posts from a USCHO board.  (Feel free to correct
me if there is a better source:)

1) 3/20/2006 by TheProFromDover (whoever that person is) entitled "ECACHL
administrative blowup"

"I got a call from a, usually, very reliable source that after the 1st
period of the Cornell/Harvard game Butch Bellemore (Supervisor of Officials)
and Brewster Earle, his assistant both quit due to Commissioner Hagwell's
handling of an on-ice situation.
Can anyone confirm what happened and shed some light on the on-ice
situation?"

2) later in same thread, a few hours later, also from TheProFromDover
"I just got additional information. Apparently the AR made a hitting from
behind call and Shaeffer went ballistic, argueing with Brewster under the
stands. Hagwell, apparently, told Brewster that if he didn't stop arguing,
Hagwell would have the police escort him out of the rink. That's when he
quit.
I have every reason to believe this is accurate. If so then the ECACHL needs
more than a new name."

Beyond that all we have is a CHN piece refuting that story per league
sources and another story confirming the resignations.

I'd hope that we aren't all haven't become so cavalier with our choice of
words that we'll throw around pejorative terms based on unsubstantiated
rumor.  I'd ask that short of being the eyewitness to something or seeing a
confirmed news report that we at least preface opinions that strong with
something along the lines of "assuming it happened" rather than stating such
as fact.  Again, someone correct me if I have missed any of the facts here
or responded to this in a "flame" fashion.

And to answer Matt's question about the earlier in the year suspension, I
supported the suspension.  I wasn't happy about it, but he grabbed an
opposing players jersey as the teams left the ice at the end of a very tough
game in what was a very hostile environment.  And rules are rules.  I don't
know what actually happened on that night, but the league made the right
call.  For a press account of what happened earlier in the season, see
11/3/2005 This Week in the ECACHL at uscho.  That article gives several
differing accounts of what happened.