From:
Arik Marks <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 31 Mar 2005 13:46:55 -0500
At least get the facts straight if you are   going to post, and try to use
some solid logic.

1)   > Not a chance in hell, eh ! Explain why, in 1997, lowly Army played
the
> mighty Red to a 1-1 tie overtime game at Lynah. That was the last time,
> until this season that Cornell was ECACHL, champion

Not so fast there.  You missed two titles an NCAA elite 8 and a frozen four
in that time.

2001-2002, 25-8-2, ECAC Regular Season Champion.  NCAA loss in QF

2002-2003, 30-5-1, ECAC Regular Season and League Tourney Champion.  NCAA
loss in FF

2) "If poor Army could tie Cornell, then surely Minnesota could win at
Lynah"

---Let's not got into the silly one-game happened so it proves everything
else we want in the world to be true.  Minnesota went 0-2-1 against UAA this
year, (0-1-1 at home) so that should prove that anybody could beat them home
or away? Hardly, but that's the sort of argument you put forth.

If you watched this year's game, which was extremely close, and lent itself
to Minnesota's style, and to which Lucia even admitted that his team was
getting worn down and better score quickly in the overtime, and which team
had the benefit of ~9000 home fans and big ice and locker rooms etcetera,
then it's  pretty reasonable to draw the conclusion that in a similarly
played game at Lynah, in front of ~3500 CU fans, who'd rock the timbers much
more loudly (if only for the small confines and ceiling) and Cornell being
able to beat up physically on the gophers that much more quickly on home
ice, not to mention the crummy dressing room you'd be sitting in and our
knowledge of the bad zamboni door bounce etc, that Cornell would have taken
the game.   And if you are a stats guy, I think the Krach numbers (from
before CU played UM) would show exactly how close the teams were. (Krach
numbers have since moved significantly due to the NCAA game results.)

3) Re: Army "the patsy":

>And, oh by the way,
> lowly Army beat Cornell at Tate 4-1 the prior year. So after those two
> ECAC championship years, in which Cornell
> couldn't defeat what they considered a "patsy", the two teams did not meet
again until this season(at Lynah, a Red win)

Unlike the BU situation I mentioned, there was no rivalry between Cornell
and Army.  BU and Cornell had quite a rivalry over many years before HE
split off from the ECAC.  .  Army  - left ECAC at end of 1991. We played
them in Jan of 95,96 and 97, going 1-1-1, with Army playing an independent
schedule. So I looked at our schedule of NC games from  1997 to the present.

After 1997, we played other NC games against better NC competition or in
support of the MAAC/AHA/CHA.  Also, with few exceptions we played only home
and home schedules.  MAAC/AHA/CHA games were played with Niagara, Sacred
Heart, Canisius, Mercyhurst, Alabama Huntsville and Quinnipiac.  We improved
our schedule of opponents from MAAC/CHA/AHA and didn't play any
independents. And we played them at home and on the road.

I think your Army wisecrack loses credibility looking at this.

Details if you care..

2005-2006 Proposed Schedule: Mich State, Niagara, RIT, Tourney with Maine,
UMD, Northeastern

2004-2005 Army win, Sacred Heart win, Mich State loss, tie, Canisius win, BC
loss, Maine win

2003-2004 WMU Loss, tie, BGU tie, OSU loss, tie, Mercyhurst loss, Notre Dame
win,

2002-2003 OSU win, loss, BU win 2, i win 2, Maine loss

2001-2002 Alabama-Huntsville 2 wins, BU win and loss, Niagara win, No Mich
loss, OSU loss,

2000-2001 Sacred Heart loss, Maine Tie and loss, Niagara loss, OSU win,
Quinnipiac tie,

1999-2000 Providence loss, Niagara loss,  Merrimack loss, Maine tie, OSU
win, WMU win two

1998- 1999 Niagara win, Northeastern win, BGU lose, Wisconsin Win,
Providence lose, OSU lose

1997-1998 Northeastern win, Niagara win, UMD lose, WMU 2 wins, Ferris lose

Non-Conference vs CHA/AHA/MAAC:

Niagara- home and home. 2005-2006 1 game home and away. 2001-2002,
2000-2001and 1998-1999, 1997-1998

Sacred Heart home and home 2000-2001 and 2004-2005

Mercyhurst 2003-2004

RIT 2005-2006 new to D1 in AHA

CCHA/HE Non Conference:

Mich State - home and home 2005-2006, 2004-2005

WMU - home and home 2003-2004, 2002-2003 and 1999-2000, 1997-1998

OSU home and home 2003-2004, 1999-2000 (Tourney results in 200-2001,
2001-2002, 20002-2003)

BU home and home 2002-2003 , 2001-2002

Northeastern home and home 1998-199, 1997-1998

Providence home and home 1998-1999, 1999-2000

BGU 2003-2004, 1998-1999 was tourney

ND 2003-2004 (Tourney)