From:
"Anthony J. Buffa" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Mar 2005 08:57:15 -0800
I believe all the Ivies (such as Cornell) have scholarships in athletics
but they dont call them that ... we had a local girl here (an average"
tennis player in CA which made her a star in the northeast :-) who was
recruited by Brown to play tennis. She had a "scholarship" even though
her folks were wealthy, it wasnt an academic scholarship either, but it
was made clear to her it depended on her playing varsity tennis for
Brown. I think all the Ivies operate this way. To me, it seems
hypocritical, but what do I know, being a non-Ivy person. :-)

I think that when Ned Harkness went to Cornell from RPI in 1963 they
asked him if he envisioned "easier" recruiting because of scholarships
available (at that time RPI didnt give them) ..... he winked and said
"What scholarships?" Clearly he used them to Cornell's advantage,
something he did not have at RPI in the early 60s.

Also I dont know if Colgate calls them athletic scholarships.... and I
believe St. Lawrence only started recently. Union does not, and Clarkson
is in about the same time frame as RPI, since the late 70s.

So in the ECACHL there are 6 ivies that "dont" give athletic
scholarships, RPI, clarkson, Vermont and SLU that definitely do. Union
that definitely does not, and Colgate I am not sure of. Quinnipiac was
in AH and gave about 11 and I presume will go up to 18 when the join
next year.

Cheers,

Tony Buffa
RPI '64