From:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Mar 2005 22:30:21 -0500
Just a few thoughts/pointers to toss in to today's discussion...

The Ivies and Union do not offer athletic scholarships; however, the
remaining teams in the ECACHL do.  I believe Colgate and St. Lawrence
started to do so relatively recently.

AHA teams are permitted to offer athletic scholarships, though I don't
think all of them do.  Those that do are limited to 11, I believe, rather
than the NCAA limit of 18.  CHA, as far as I know, has no self-imposed
limits on athletic scholarships.

And the ECACHL, after lagging behind most of the rest of Div. I hockey for
years, is at long last taking some steps toward improving itself.  Breaking
away from the monolithic ECAC organization, FINALLY appointing a full-time
commmissioner (now *there's* a concept), making some decent attempts at
publicity, etc.  Continued efforts in this direction should signal better,
more competitive times ahead.  It wasn't that long ago that the Ivies
limited themselves to 26 regular-season games and the (then) ECAC as a
whole was limited to 30.

Which is not to say that the ECACHL as a whole will suddenly start
dominating college hockey.  As long as the Ivies have a big hand in running
the ECACHL (and they're not going anywhere any time soon), there will be
some restrictions in place, and in some ways, the ECACHL will remain what
it is today -- a league that, first and foremost, has *got* to come up with
a better acronym.
--
Bill Fenwick                                                 DJF   5/27/94
Cornell '86 and '95                                          JCF   12/2/97