From:
Rita-Ann Monde <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Mar 2005 18:01:59 -0500
Thank you tony for saving me from looking up how many conference games
the whca league plays. thus with the ivies only having 7 nc games, and
the wcha only having 6, it makes it hard to schedule. In addition if
any eastern team travels west, it behooves them to get two games and
vice versa for western teams coming east. now that you have to try and
work in another team's schedule to make it work for all 3 teams.
  the wcha having to fit in 28 league games (14 weekends), were already
into their conference play on 11/5-11/6 this year. One week after the
ivies had begun play.
In addition, most schedules are set a few years in advance, so it not
like any ECAC team that thinks they will have a strong team next year
can just call the wcha and get some games scheduled to help their pwr.
I'm sure coaches also schedule somewhat according to their team. if in
2 years you will have lost a lot of seniors and will have a young team,
you don't want to have a tough NC schedule and demoralize your kids
(see purdue men's basketball 2004-2005). you want them to play winnable
games and build confidence before heading into league play.

So I don't think it isn't a case of the ECAC teams not wanting to play
wcha teams, but at least for the ivies, it is a logistically
challenging... play wcha teams your first week or 2 (knowing that the
wcha teams already have begun play ~oct 7th, and your "official
practices" have yet to start), catch a break and get one in a holiday
tourney, or get them right after the new year. Not a lot of options due
to choices made by the administrators (ivy league only 29 games, 28
game wcha schedule) and not by the coaches.

Rita

Let's Go Red

Rita-Ann Monde

Trinity College 1991