From:
Craig Powers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Mar 2005 19:58:24 -0500
Bob Woodbury wrote:
> I guess I don't understand why this is such a horrendous mistake and
> what momentous difference it makes. From my point of view, and I've
> seen them both play on television several times this season, the two
> teams are almost interchangeable. The were regular season co-champs,
> they played in the league championship game against one another, then
> after the game, flew home on the same plane. Has CC been given an
> impossible task in the NCAA's with an unlikelyhood of making the
> Frozen Four? Has Denver been handed a free pass to the Frozen Four?
> Guess I need a little more information.

Reason #1 that this is a big deal: There's a big difference between the #14
overall seed, which qualified as an at-large, and the #15 overall seed,
which only got in by winning their tournament.

Reason #2 that this is a big deal: The gentleman that spoke for the
committee left the impression that the committee is willing to break the PWR
because they think that winning one extra game out of five played between
the teams decisively indicates that Denver is better (notwithstanding that
CC wins every other category easily).  I suspect, though, that the committee
may not have done anything underhanded with the #1 seeds and just shifted
the first-round matchup -- I'm not thrilled with their reasons, but they're
within their discretion to do that.

Anyway, basically, we don't like the precedent of the committee possibly
ignoring PWR in a place where we expect them to use it.