From:
Wayne T Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Mar 2005 12:58:28 -0500
Craig Powers wrote, in part:

>Any reactions to the committee's lame justification for giving Denver the
>better first-round matchup than CC?  ...

I think Adam Woden and most everyone else has jumped to a conclusion
here, while ignoring something Committee chair Wayne Dean said on the
Selection Show.  Dean said DU/CC "was basically a dead heat". He then
said the tie was broken by head to head.  This is *exactly* their
procedure ... they did not necessarily vary from procedure!

That the Committee had DU and CC in a dead heat is important, for it
shows their mathematics differs from USCHO.com math.   Since some of it
is secret, we can't tell whether we don't understand the secret part or
whether the NCAA or USCHO.com miscalculated something.  Let's get rid of
the secrecy, NCAA!

On the other hand, Woden did not get a chance to ask Dean why #2 DU
travels East to Amherst while #3 CC traveled "only" to the Mid-West
Regional in Grand Rapids.  Not only did it increase travel for DU/CC, it
increased travel for Colgate/Bemidji State.  Was this a "sloppy"
Committee choice, or due to some consideration I don't understand?

Special thanks to Jayson Moy and USCHO.com for getting the media "into"
selection and seedings.  Near UMaine, this was discussed numerous times
in the newspaper and on the radio ... most all with a good basis in what
we all know as fact.

Congratulations to all teams in the tournament ... it should be a great one!

cheers, wayne