From:
Clay Satow <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 23 Feb 2005 17:22:01 -0800
--- Anthony Buffa <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I recall a similar event in junior high school riding home on the bus in
> 1956 in New Jersey .... with a transistor radio hanging out the window
> trying to catch Dale Mitchell striking out to complete Don Larsen's
> perfect game in the world series .... I screamed, but no one on the bus
> had a clue.  Those have to be the two "sports watching" highlights in my
> life.

For me it was Mazeroski's home run

> On another note, with on and off power out here, I missed taping the
> game, does anyone know if they are going to replay the replay?

Yes, I hope so too.  I was recording at the wrong speed, and the tape ran out literally seconds
before Eruzione's goal.

One thing that stood out to me last night that hadn't before.  The Russian coach has been roundly
criticized for removing Tretiak after the first period.  But I'm not so sure that it was not
deserved.  The first goal was a slap shot from well out, he had a clear view, and it went right
past his glove.  And the second goal was a rebound off a shot from center ice.  It looked like it
may have bounced or skipped, but he should have controlled the rebound better (and the D-man
should have controlled Mark Johnson better).  Goals in the first and last minute of a period are
killers morale-wise.