From:
Nathan Hampton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Feb 2005 08:51:38 -0600
Watching the ESPN Classic "Big Ticket" replay of the game last night was
fun. I could not believe it when Al Michaels says the FACE VALUE of the
tickets were $67.50 back in 1980 (equivalent to a $134 price today, which
doesn't seem bad).

I was at a conference in Green Bay Wisconsin with a bunch of graduate
students from Michigan State University. A dozen or so of us were huddled in
a hotel room listening to the game on the radio. We had a meeting that
night, but when the game ended and we had won, most of us went down to the
hotel dining room, found the professors and explained we had to cancel the
meeting that night. And they agreed! Knowing the score, had no impact on
watching the game -- excitement when the US scored and disappointment when
the Soviets did. I still think the most amazing goal of the game was not the
winning goal but Mark Johnson's goal at the end of the first period which
not only tied it up but chased Tretiak from the game.

But why was a Canadian the color announcer? I would like to find a
tape/video/DVD of the full game. The shortened ABC version is fine, but I
have never seen a full version of the game. Anybody know of one? And
Thursday night ESPN Classic is showing the gold medal game from 1980.

Nathan Hampton