From:
Anthony Buffa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Feb 2005 06:24:53 -0800
Ah, yes, Mark, the good old days, thanks for recalling that lovely time
:-)  ....  I recall a 15% annual inflation rate, energy crisis forcing
folks to buy smaller cars, and gasolene prices rising almost overnite
from 30 cents to 80 cents per gallon.

Out in "rural" CA, I believe we had a pretty hefty tape delay, but I
hadnt heard the score. I recall it was late afternoon and pouring rain.
Both my daughters and my wife were sick with colds. My oldest, then 9,
was in bed with my wife, and they were dozing, as was my youngest on my
lap in a rocking chair in front of the TV. I watched the whole game
without a peep, but in the last 10 seconds I was up screaming. None of
them knew what was happening, however now all of them, especially after
seeing the movie "Miracle," understand what I was feeling. My oldest,
who lives now near San Jose, has actually become somewhat of a hockey fan.

I recall a similar event in junior high school riding home on the bus in
1956 in New Jersey .... with a transistor radio hanging out the window
trying to catch Dale Mitchell striking out to complete Don Larsen's
perfect game in the world series .... I screamed, but no one on the bus
had a clue.  Those have to be the two "sports watching" highlights in my
life.

On another note, with on and off power out here, I missed taping the
game, does anyone know if they are going to replay the replay?

Cheers,

Tony Buffa
RPI '64