From:
Joe Makowiec <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Feb 2005 06:13:05 -0500
At 11:35 PM 2-22-2005 -0500, Mark Lewin wrote:
>Just finished watching the replay of US vs USSR from 1980. I never saw the
>game televised live (it wasn't televised live in this area) but I remember
>seeing numerous replays and highlights after the fact.

In 1980 ABC, presaging the 'plausibly live' of recent Olympics, actually
showed most of the game in prime time, even though it was played in the
afternoon.  A group of friends had gathered that afternoon, popped a few
beers and listened to the game live on the radio, so we knew the score and
more or less what had happened when.

Then on comes the TV broadcast.  There's Jim MacKay, sitting in the
broadcast booth with a live street scene in Lake Placid behind him.  There
are the happy fans, waving flags and screaming "We Won!  We
Won!!!!!  USA!  USA!"  And there sits MacKay, oblivious to what's going on
behind him saying, "And later, we'll show you the USA - Soviet Union hockey
game."  Like we couldn't tell...

And my brother, who was a student at Saint Lawrence at the time, had gone
in that general direction with a group of friends.  When they couldn't
score tickets, they went to a bar in Tupper Lake.  The bar had the Canadian
Broadcasting Corporation (CBC) on the television, and CBC picked the game
up live.

Anyway, we watched the 'plausibly live' broadcast with great relish, and
again enjoyed the victory.

Joe
--
Joe Makowiec can be reached at: