From:
Mike Patten <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Patten <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Jan 2004 09:38:24 -0500
For those interested
http://www.ithacajournal.com/news/stories/20040121/localsports/264542.html
Schafer was suspended for his tirade at the officials after the RPI game
Saturday night.   I'm sure much of the tirade was a result of the play of
the team as well.. It wasn't the worst officiating job I have ever seen but
probably does rank up there in the top 10. What struck me at the game was
the number of times Dupree got into the faces of Cornell players while on
the ice and screamed at them. While its hard to say what the Cornell
players were saying to him, he was clearly more animated in his responses
back at them. It was very apparent after awhile he was not going to take
control of the game and let a lot of blatant stuff go and was only willing
to call obstruction type penalties. While I have an obvious bias, RPI did
play well and controlled probably 25% of the game, and played very hard.  I
did find it amusing on one play when the puck went into the corner and 3
Cornell players were tackled on various parts of the ice leaving the
Cornell player with the puck no one to pass to.  RPI seemed quite willing
to take players out away from the puck all night  without any calls being
made. On another occasion the Cornell player was cross checked well after
the whistle causing him and another RPI player to fall and got called
hitting after the whistle..

All in all I since the Coaches frustration comes from not getting the puck
into the net after having 2-3X the scoring chances..