Date:
Sun, 13 Apr 2003 13:32:18 EDT
Is Minnesota the new "dynasty"?

I don't want to take anything away from the Gophers--they played an
outstanding game in whipping the pussies from New Hampshire--but I don't see
how a team with eight losses and nine ties during the regular season
qualifies as a dynasty.  Very good, well coached, peaking at the right time,
clutch performers--all of those descriptors apply in spades to Minnesota.
But not a dynasty.  At least not yet.

And by the way, what is it with the WCHA.  Why do they have so many ties?
WCHA teams played a total of 140 conference games during this past season,
and 52 of them--37%--were ties.  That a higher percentage of ties than any
other conference--more than double the percentage of ties in the ECAC and the
CCHA.

CCHA    168 conference games    30 ties   18%
CHA      60 conference games           20 ties  33%
ECAC    132 conference games         22 ties  17%
HEA      108 conference games         24 ties  22%
MAAC   143 conference games         16 ties   11%
WCHA   140 conference games         52 ties  37%