From:
Clay Satow <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Clay Satow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Jan 2002 18:19:28 -0800
--- [log in to unmask] wrote:
<<With all due respect to Canada- I think "hockey culture" is
reminiscent  of  when Churchill became head of the British Admiralty
and instituted some reforms- old liners accused him of upsetting the
traditons of the Royal  Navy to which he replied that the only
traditions he was aware of were  flogging and grog (rum). Canadian
hockey is epitomized by "if you can't beat em  in the alley you can't
beat em on the ice". >>

Hockey culture is not limited to a style of play at one level.  The
Canadian hockey culture also includes little kids playing pond hockey,
and small communities for which the local youth and junior hockey teams
are a source of community pride.

A team I coached  participated in a hockey tournament in Canada.  We
ate in a restaurant downtown, and up on the wall were the Atom (= US
Squirt) sweaters of players who had played in that tournament and had
gone on to play in the NHL.  Since we were and out of town team, we had
a personal escort.  Everything about the tournament was first class,
top notch, and respectful of the game of hockey. I can honestly say it
was one of the best experience I've ever had in hockey.  Didn't see a
single fight, but I did see a coach bench a player who was starting to
play chippy.

THAT'S Canadian hockey culture also.  It's unfortunate that you've
taken one aspect of one part of one level of Canadian hockey that you
don't like (and for what it's worth I don't like it either) and used to
epitomize an entire country's "hockey culture."

[. . . ]

<<All the Juniors are is a Canadian serf system (albeit much better
than it once was) to groom players for the NHL.  Again just look at the
demographics of who plays north and south of the 49th parallel. In the
US it is strictly a middle class and above sport and  the opposite is
true in Canada.>>

What in the world is that supposed to mean?  That rich people play the
game with skill, and poor folk are goons?  That because only poor folks
want to play in the NHL?

Last I saw, the rosters of many colleges, even at the D3 level,  were
populated by Canadian Juniors.

I don't have any demographic data for hockey players in Canada, and I
bet you don't either.  But my estimation would be that the hockey
playing population of Canada represents a much larger cross section of
socioeconomic groups (i.e. it comes from all socioeconomic classes) and
not only from the middle class and lower classes as you imply.

To the extent that the demographics in the US are correct, that says
another thing about one of the cultural differences between US hockey
and Canadian hockey.   The US hockey playing population is wealthier,
because hockey is expensive to play in the US.  Hockey is expensive to
play in the US because ice time is scarce and expensive.  Hockey is
less expensive to play in Canada because of municipal support (which
makes ice more plentiful and less expensive) and community support
(which further reduces the cost to participate).  That's part of
Canadian hockey culture, too, and one that I happen to admire.

For what it's worth, Larry, I entirely share your taste in the style of
hockey I prefer.  It's the gross generalizations about Canadian hockey
and  - so far as I understand the comment -  about socioeconomic
classes that I take strong exception to.

Clay