From:
"Satow, Clay" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Satow, Clay
Date:
Mon, 30 Oct 2000 08:16:47 -0500
Arthur Berman wrote:

> >>I guess this is the time for my annual rant.  It used to be we got all
> the scores, and many game articles, right here on good old HOCKEY-L.  Many
> of
> the former leaders of this list now devote their energy to USCHO.  That is
> their choice of course but this list is much the poorer for it in both
> information and in quality of posts.  One wonders why have a website for
> college hockey if it can't accomodate the need at the time it is needed.
> Naturally one wants sports information on a timely basis.<<

I've only participated in this list for the last couple of years, but I kind
of like it the way it it is.  I can go into USCHO during non-peak times for
the informational stuff and to read the articles, but I think that the
discussion here is far more intelligent and interesting.  The signal to
noise ratio of the discussion (not just limited to the "Community" boards)
is very low, and I think that USCHO provides a useful service by providing a
forum for the sophomoric taunting exchanges.  I'd hate to have my mailbox
cluttered with this stuff, and USCHO gives everyone the opportunity to
participate or ignore as they see fit.

A website is, IMO, the best format for "static" type information like
rosters, box scores of past games, etc.  That way, it only has to be stored
at one site rather than in everybody's mailbox, and it can be presented in a
more interesting and readable format.  The current problems notwithstanding,
I think that USCHO does a pretty good job, with good and knowledgeable
writers, and a lot of good information.

Very nice of Eric to host the "update" list.  A mailing list is a great way
for instant updates, but I'd hate to have this list  used for that.  It
would result in a lot of redundant, irrelevant posts for those who don't
want or need score updates.

Clay