From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Jan 1999 15:18:56 -0500
[log in to unmask],.Internet writes:
>Ahh,....c'mon...all 3 HE teams are among the best in the country...and
>CC
>might be missing it's WJC players and injured players more than anyone
>in the
>nation...even more than Maine is missing it's 3 stars. Morrison,
>Petersen, and
>Voorhes are 3 of CC's top 5 forwards easy...and Morrison played a big
>role in
>CC's early season run.

With all due respect, I don't think we can really assess who means
more, and "what if" said player played, etc.  I wouldn't expect a CC
fan (or any fan not familar to Maine and Hockey East) to be able to
tell me the importance of missing the players the Black Bears were and
CC fans would have every right to be offended if I downplayed its
missing players.

If you are good enough to play World Juniors or start on a top 10 team,
you are a good player... period.

For the record, Maine was without Doug Janik and Barrett Heisten.
Heisten plays on the top line with Kariya and Larose and Janik is one
of the three best defensemen on the team.

Maine was also without forwards Brendan Walsh and Bobby Stewart two of
its best defensive forwards.  Walsh is also averaging over a point a
game (and a few penalties to boot! :-)

One of the other three top defensemen also went down with an injury
(Peter Metcalf) during the game and missed the third period (CC mounted
a third period comeback to force the tie).

CC also lost two players to concussions during the game with Maine as I
understand it.

As far as I'm concerned all the injuries and missing players washed in
this game.  CC has great offense which was hindered, Maine has a great
defense which was hindered.  With those players CC might score more
than 3 goals, but with Maine's players they might not have allowed
three goals.  From my seat by the radio it sounded like a great college
hockey game, no matter who was playing.  If it is meant to be there
will be a rematch in March.

I thought Don Lucia had a great quote in Rich Tibbetts story on USCHO
when he said that it was simply a battle of attrition at the end of
this one.  Amen, Don.

---
Deron Treadwell - [log in to unmask]
Old Town, Maine