From:
"Hagwell, Steve" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Hagwell, Steve
Date:
Mon, 12 Oct 1998 08:39:41 -0500
This issue may be moot by now, but I just got into the office, saw the posts
and felt compelled to respond.

Not to take sides on the issue (especially on my first post), but Mr. Biever
and Mr. Machnik
are correct in stating that the 5-minute overtime should NOT have been
played if the outcome of the game determined advancement in the bracket. In
short, whenever advancement in a bracket is necessary (it matters not
whether it's a regular-season or postseason tournament), a 20-minute
overtime period must follow regulation play. The only exception to this is a
third-place game given that there is no advancement.

Further, shootouts are NOT allowed in any tournament in which NCAA rules
apply (obviously, a Canadian-sponsored tourney are not bound by such rules).
The rules do not provide for such a format and tournament directors and
teams have been instructed not to implement a shootout format. Such a
scenario did take place at last year's J.C. Penney tournament involving
Maine and CC. At that time, the rules committee instructed the tournament
director and teams that they had violated the rules.

Steve Hagwell
NCAA Staff Liaison to the NCAA Men's Ice Hockey Rules Committee