From:
"Lerch,Chris" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lerch,Chris
Date:
Thu, 16 Jan 1997 12:15:24 PST
I got this News Release the other day from the NCAA:

OVERLAND PARK, KANSAS ---Festivities surrounding the 1997 Division I
 Ice Hockey Championship include the announcement of a 50th Anniversary
 Team by the NCAA Division I Ice Hockey Committee.

The NCAA celebrates the championship's 50th Anniversary this year at
 the Bradley Center, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, March 26-29.

Overall , 144 players (71 forwards, 36 defensemen and 37 goaltenders)
 are listed on the ballot following nominations from current and past
 collegiate head coaches. The criteria used to determine those
 individuals nominated and subsequently listed on the ballot were based
 on individual performance during the NCAA championship.

Ballots have been forwarded to all current Division I ice hockey
 coaches, those coaches who participated in past championships and
 current and former members of the NCAA Division I Ice Hockey
 Committee. It is anticipated that the 50th Anniversary Team will be
 announced in mid-February and then honored during the championship in
 Milwaukee.

Here are the nominees:

Boston College:
Bernie Burke, G
Joe Mullen, F
Paul Skidmore, G
Ed Songin, F

Boston University:
Tony Amonte, F
Ralph Bevins, G
Dan Brady, F
Bob Brown, D
Don Cohoon, F
Jim Craig, G
John Danby, F
Jack Garrity, F
Bob Marquis, F
Rick Meagher, F
Jack O'Callahan, D
Chris O'Sullivan, F
Tim Regan, G
Dave Silk, F
Barry Urbanski, G

Bowling Green:
Dave Elett, D
Garry Galley, D
Gary Kruzich, G

Brown:
Don Whiston, G

Clarkson:
Corby Adams, F
Bruck Bullock, G
Terry Yurkiewicz, G

Colorado College:
Tony Frasca, F
Bill "Red" Hay, F
Phil Hilton, D
Ken Kinsley, G
Bob McCusker, F
Dan Lodboa, D

Cornell:
Ken Dryden, G
Dan Lodboa, D
Wlat Stanowski, D

Dartmouth:
Dick Desmond, G
Bill Riley, F
Joe Riley, F

Denver:
Ron Grahme, G
Marshall Johnston, D
George Kirkwood, G
George Konik, D
Keith Magnuson, D
Murray Massier, F
Bill Masterton, F
Gerry Powers, G
Jerry Walker, F

Harvard:
Bill Cleary, F
Ted Donato, F
Mark Fusco, D
Scott Fusco, F
Lane MacDonald, F

Lake Superior State:
Clayton Beddoes, F
Paul Constantin, F
Bruce Hoffort, G
Sean Tallaire, F
Mark Vermette, F

Maine:
Blair Allison, G
Chris Imes, D
Paul Karyia, F
Jim Montgomery, F
Garth Snow, G

Michigan:
Red Berensen, F
Neil Celley, F
Wally Gacek, F
Wally Grant, F
Bob Gray, G
Bob Heathcott,, D
Connie Hill, D
Lorbe Howes, G
Williard Ikola, G
Bill MacFarland, F
John Matchefts, F
Brendan Morrison, F
Tom Rendall, F
Ross Smith, D
Marty Turco, G
Gordon Wilke, D

Michigan State:
Gaye Cooley, G
Mike Donnelly, F
Lyle Phair, F

Michigan Tech:
Henry Akervall, D
Lou Angotti, F
Garry Bauman, G
Paul Coppo, F
Tony Esposito, G
Rob Lorimer, D
George Lyle, F
Gary Milroy, F
Jim Warden, G
Tim Watters, D

Minnesota:
Bill Baker, D
Aaron Broten, F
Steve Christoff, F
Steve Janasak, G
Jimmy Mattson, G
John Mayasich, F
Dick Meredith, F
Joe Micheletti, D
Mike Polich, F
Mike Ramsay, D
Brad Shelstad, G
Tom Vanelli, F

North Dakota:
Ed Belfour, G
Marc Chorney, D
Gary Eades, F
Tony Hrkac, F
Darren Jensen, G
Bob Joyce, F
Ian Kidd, D
Al McLean, F
Reg Morelli, F
Jim Patrick, D
Doug Smail, F
Phil Sykes, F
Mark Taylor, F
Howard Walker, D

Northern Michigan:
Scott Beattie, F
Darryl Plandowski, F
Brad Werenka, D

Providence:
Chris Terreri, G

RPI:
Frank Chiarelli, F
Bob Fox, G
Tim Friday, D
Ken Hammond, D
Abbie Moore, F
Adam Oates, F
Gordie Peterkin, F
George Servinis, F

St. Lawrence:
Pette Lappin, F

Vermont:
Martin St. Louis, F

Wisconsin:
Julian Baretta, G
Marc Behrend, G
Chris Chelios, D
Bruce Driver, D
Pat Flatley, F
Craig Norwich, D
Bob Poffenroth, F
Barry Richter, D
Dean Talafous, F
Chris Tancill, F
John Taft, D
Gary Winchester, F

---end of release

My comments - A nice idea, but why use only performance during the
 championships as a criteria and not overall performance? Because of
 the criteria used, not all the Hobey Baker winners are nominated (nor
 Hobey Baker, for that matter). You also get interesting developments
 like Marty Turco but not Steve Shields getting nominated, etc. etc.

Chris Lerch
US College Hockey Magazine