From:
MATTHEW CALDERWOOD <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
MATTHEW CALDERWOOD <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Jan 1997 17:36:14 -0600
     First of all, does anyone know if there are plans to broadcast the
     RPI/Clarkson game (Feb. 8 in Potsdam) via satellite?  If so, will the
     coordinates be available?  If so, is there anyone else in Maine who
     would like to converge on a sports bar to watch?  Winners in Brunswick
     might be a possibility (the wings can't approach those from New York,
     but they're the best I've found in Maine).

     A few thoughts from the debacle in Cambridge:
     -Going in, the Engineers had much better power play stats, but while
     Harvard got set up and spent the majority of their man-advantage time
     in the zone, RPI was doing all they could just to keep the puck from
     the Crimson forecheckers.  The telling sequence of this game was the
     three-plus minutes of 5 on 3 that the Engineers had late in the
     second, which ended without even a decent scoring chance.
     -Joel Laing (and the rest of the RPI D) never seemed to recover from
     the flukey second goal for Harvard.  A Crimson player (Higdon?) sent
     the puck into the zone and while Laing went behind the net to play it,
     it took a strange bounce and ended up sliding into the crease, where
     it was promptly deposited into the net.  After that, the rout was on.
     -The rest of the ECAC (and the Beanpot opponents) should watch their
     backs.  This Crimson team looked much better than their 7-9-2 record;
     they were in control for the entire second period and most of the
     third (after the Engineers put on just a touch of pressure to start
     the third).  They buzzed in the offensive zone all night, and had the
     decided edge in physical play (somewhat surprising with all the size
     the Engineers now posess).
     -The Engineers are also better than they showed Saturday.  The rematch
     in Troy the first weekend of February should be good.  I wonder if the
     Crimson get up to play RPI because their coach is a grad :-).

     Here's hoping tonight's game at BC further pads the ECAC "advantage"
     over HE.

     Matt
     RPI '94

     GO PATRIOTS!!!  SMACK THE PACK!!!  (I thought "Squeeze the Cheese" was
     silly, so I came up with my own rallying cry.)