From:
Lance Harry <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 31 Dec 1996 12:27:36 -0500
Josh writes:

>Union would blow Middlebury
>out of the rink. You can't compare division 3 teams to division 1.

Slow down there!!  As much of a Union fan and alum that I am, I have to step
in and talk some hockey sense:

I played at Union (albiet mostly JV) in the midst of the transition from dIII
to dI and I have to say that there were 0 personnel changes in that 1
transition year.  The same guys who played the dIII schedule the year before,
were playing the dI schedule in '91-'92

I understand that now Union is a much better team than that, but the
personnel that Union and Middlebury draw from, is not all that different.

Also, my freshman year '88, while I watched in the stands, Union defeated RPI
4-3 in overtime, at Union, while Union was a solid dIII team and RPI was a
mediocre dI team (although I did hear later that a few of RPI's "stars" were
missing).  This was a pre-season game, intended to get the capitol district
excited about college hockey.  I suspect this may have been one of the
precursors to Union making the move to dI - a big rivalry (which has been
upheld nicely, read: oranges!) with RPI

Anyway, my point is that Middlebury is a {the} premier dIII program, and I
would suspect, although they might lose, the game would certainly be
competetive.
maybe 4-2, or 5-2??

But lets face it, the chances are slim we'll ever see it.

Lance D. Harry
Union '92
B.U. '94