From:
Lance Harry <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 27 Dec 1996 12:20:45 -0500

I agree that it is nice to see NC$$ hockey not turning into a minor league
system for the pros, and with the international nature of the NHL, moreso
than any other major sport, I dont see it happening.

BUT,  it is also a shame to say that in the mind of a 18-19 yr. old kid AND
his (I would add /her, but it really doesnt apply!) parents, that "my only
chance at success in this world is to pursue a career in hockey.  Therefore,
I will give up my opportunity that this institution gave me to become
{better} educated, to pursue a ?5-7 year career as a professional hockey
player."  Now granted, this is over-generalizing, and each situation is
unique.  But in Dan LaCoutures case, what happens to him when hes 30, with a
ripped up shoulder and knee, and has made maybe $750,000 - 1M in a ten year
career.  OK, its more than I make, but I'm willing to bet it wouldnt be
enough to last for another 30 years.  To boot, he has no education, so
chances are he will not know how to invest it properly.

OK, I'm not dumb enough to say that this happens to all guys who drop out of
school to play minors/NHL, but you have to admit it is not that unlikely of a
scenerio.  Where is John Lilley (Aneheim minor system?), and what will he be
doing in ?5 years?

I feel sorry for the player, parents and school, because each one has lost
out in this type of situation.  The only winner is the NHL team who owns his
rights, and whos to say what his chances are of playing there any time soon.

Heres to seeing D.L. back in the scarlet and white... soon!!!  We need some
scoring punch!!

Lance D. Harry
B.U. '94
Union '92