From:
"Mark J. Sonnier" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark J. Sonnier
Date:
Tue, 23 Apr 1996 11:12:13 -0800
At 01:41 PM 4/23/96 -0500, Lee Urton wrote:

>I think the system to look at is in Alaska. For clarity, they go by
>University of Alaska-Anchorage and University of Alaska-Fairbanks,
>despite (because of?) the fact that they are not on the friendliest of
>terms. It seems Anchorage should be the "main campus" and Fairbanks
>(being smaller and further away) would be the satellite campus, although
>a friend of mine studying at Fairbanks tells me it is slightly better
>academically (at least in his field). I do not know which school played
>hockey first.

Infidel! Blasphemer!!!

Er, sorry.  That was just my blood boiling :)  As Mr. Carlson and other
loyal Nanook alums like myself will attest, the "main campus" is in
Fairbanks, though you are correct that UAA currently enrolls more students
(FTE = 10000 vs UAF's 7000 or so).

Brief history lesson:  The U of A began in Fairbanks in 1917 as a mining
college during territorial days (I've always wondered: why not Alaska A&M?)
UAA came on the scene in the mid-70s, nearly 60 years later.  The current
(no hyphens or commas, please) naming scheme was officially adopted as part
of a statewide system restructuring program in the late 80's which, among
other things, resulted in UAA's consolidation with the Anchorage Community
College.  Despite a big PR campaign by UAA, many Alaskans still view UAF as
the main campus, complete with dormitories and PhD programs in the
humanities, sciences and engineering.  Fairbanks is also the heeadquarters
of the statewide system, including the University president.  UAA is still
perceived to be a commuter campus, with student housing for only a couple
hundred...

As for hockey, UAA was first with NCAA membership.  I believe they started
in '79 with UAF following in '81, with both schools fielding club programs
earlier.  As a practical matter, though, I have a friend in Fairbanks who
played hockey for a U of A sanctioned team in the late 1940's, traveling as
far south as Seattle to play exhibition games during the war.

>But I *do* know I have never heard any Anchorage person declare they are
>the one true "University of Alaska" school and that they shouldn't be
>shackled by the awful "Anchorage" name, or vice versa.

You likely never will.  Officially, neither school can use that moniker, nor
can UA Southeast in Juneau.  However, longtime Fairbanks folks will still be
overheard dropping "THE University of Alaska" in conversation when referring
to UAF.

Of course, as long as both schools compete in different hockey conferences,
the tendency for opponents to use U of A or just Alaska is quite
understandable.

Ad summum,
Mark Sonnier
UAF '90, '96
-----
Mark J. Sonnier, C.P.M.
Purchasing Agent / Hockey Enthusiast
Employer: UAA / Alma Mater: UAF
(imagine the conflict of interest potential)