From:
"Mark J. Sonnier" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark J. Sonnier
Date:
Fri, 5 Apr 1996 09:10:46 -0900
At 12:23 PM 4/5/96 -0500, Steven R. Glazewski wrote:

>Barring some radical change in scheduling, the current WCHA teams can't
>offer more than about a half-dozen games to the two newbies, and most of
>that will have to come from playing in Alaska, where the games won't count
>towards UAA's and UAF's game limit.  I don't see them getting many games vs
>the CCHA, either, which leaves lots of travel against USAFA, USMA, some ECAC
>teams, maybe the "other six", and some D-2 schools (Alabama-Huntsville would
>be a challenge!) or D-3 schools.

First, I think you're only half right on the Alaska issue.  Although the
games don't count against the visiting school's limit, they DO count in the
Alaska school's limit.  (Unless the visitor is Canadian, then nothing counts
:)  UAF will presumably have three extra "discretionary" games in 96-97 (as
will the entire CCHA) due to UIC's untimely demise but UAA (and the WCHA) is
booked solid to to conference scheduling restrictions.  MSU last played in
Fairbanks during the 94-95 season, the last year of UAF's affiliate status
in the CCHA.

As for Alabama-Huntsville, I'd be interested to hear if they're considering
the move to Div. I as well since everyone else seems to be doing it.  I know
they had a good season this year, but if memory serves they also played most
of their games at home.  Von Braun Civic Center has definitely provided them
with a significant home ice advantage over the years.

With the U.P. schools acting restless, this could be a huge time of movement
and change in the Div. I ranks.  Strange days, indeed...

Happy Easter,
-----
Mark J. Sonnier, C.P.M.
Purchasing Agent / Hockey Enthusiast
Employer: UAA / Alma Mater: UAF
(imagine the conflict of interest potential)