Date:
Fri, 5 Apr 1996 10:30:23 -0600
>UNO is no more a branch campus of UN-Lincoln than UIC is a branch of
>UIUC. UNO is home to the Health Sciences center of the UNiversity of
>Nebraska. Just like UIC, UNO is the home of the College of Pharmacy,
>Med. School, etc. There is one major difference however. UNO has to
>compete with the powerful (sports) UN-Lincoln cornshuckers, whereas
>UIC only has to compete with...well, you know the rest.
>I don't know for sure, but I suspect UNO like UIC also offers non-health
>related programs. I don't know their total enrollment, but I can tell
>they don't like being considered the little sisters of UNL.

For those who care, UNO is not the home of any of the main medical programs
of the University of Nebraska. That honor belongs to my current employer,
the UN Medical Center, another branch of NU also in Omaha. UNO is a liberal
arts school trying to expand its computer/engineering options. I would
compare it to Univ Wisconsin - Milwaukee, another commuter school fielding a
division 1 team.

As far as college hockey content...

While UNO's football and basketball programs have to compete with Herbie
Husker for media and fan attention, a college hockey team would only have
the Lancers to deal with. I'd like to imagine a situation where the two
programs would complement each other rather than competing.

But this is all irrelevant until the WCHA make a decision.

Brad