From:
"Mark J. Sonnier" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark J. Sonnier
Date:
Thu, 4 Apr 1996 08:15:22 -0900
A couple of things come to mind as I read over this discussion.  BTW, I've
only experienced Bob Norton's work during the tourney games I've watched
over the past two years.

IMO, the color person serves to either a) offer expert insight into the
contest gained from personal experience as a player, coach, other
participant; b) offer expert insight from longstanding affiliation with the
team(s) in question; or c) both.

It's fairly obvious from where I sit that Norton is well qualified under b),
if not a) (I don't know if he played or coached).  As a goaltender, I was
particularly impressed with his knowledge of technique, although his use of
the old digital magic marker left a little to be desired...  He tended to
rattle on at length, and the hometown of EVERY player was a bit much (unless
you're a parent).  But all in all it was a little like listening to your
grandpa tell those Sunday afternoon stories.  I thought his unbridled
enthusiam more than made up for the occasional gaff or run-on.

Tom Mees is okay as a play-by-play guy, though not as good a choice as say,
Gary Thorne.  (Maybe he didn't want to do it since Maine wasn't there :)
Again, Mees talks more than he should (it isn't radio - we can see what's
going on) but isn't a bad guy.

I still think the Thorne/Clement NHL crew offers fans a look at how well the
broadcast team could work together.  A great mix of journalistic
play-by-play, expert insight into the game and great chemistry between the
announcers.

I think the only way ESPN could improve their coverage for the tourney would
be for them to invite the color persons from the schools' regular radio/TV
coverage crew.  Then, we could listen to folks who followed CC and UM the
whole year, rather than bringing in a regional personality who only follows
the other schools at arm's length.

Of course, if you REALLY don't like the Mees/Norton team, turn down the
sound and try calling the game yourself.  Believe me, it's a challenging
experience to say the least.

Cheers,

-----
Mark J. Sonnier, C.P.M.
Purchasing Agent / Hockey Enthusiast
Employer: UAA / Alma Mater: UAF
(imagine the conflict of interest potential)