From:
Terry Paul Kasdan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Terry Paul Kasdan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Mar 1996 16:59:28 -0600
On Wed, 27 Mar 1996, Paul A. Troy wrote:

> Do you think the BOT will try to get hockey more established at UIUC
> now that the UIC program has been placed six feet under?

No way!  Two years ago the athletic department dropped two men's sports,
swimming and fencing, for "Budget" reasons.  Some of the swimmers sued
the University, citing gender discrimination ... but eventually lost.  The
University maintains that it did not cut the two men's teams in an effort to
conform with Title IX, but did so purely for financial reasons.
     Surprise!  Just this year the athletic department approved the
addition of a new sport, women's soccer!  Now, I'm very much in favor of
equal opportunities for men and women - in fact, I rarely miss a women's
volleyball game here because they sell-out Huff Hall and were probably the
most exciting team on campus this year!  But I don't think it's right for
them to cut men's sports just to bring the numbers closer together -
which is exactly what is happening on campuses around the country.
     So, to answer your question: It'll be a cold day in Jamaica before
the University of Illinois adds another varsity men's team.

            \\\\\///
            / ^   _ \
 |       Terry P. Kasdan          |         Visit my homepage!         |
 |  [log in to unmask]    | http://students.uiuc.edu/~t-kasdan |
          .oooO   (   |
            \_)