From:
Larry Gilbert <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Larry Gilbert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Mar 1996 20:31:19 -0500
        LSSU has had a bad experience with Frank Cole. During the '90-91
best of 3 playoffs Frank played large role. Perhaps the penalties the Lakers
got were deserved but the calls did not go both ways. It was almost like
Clarkson preferential treatment. Things could have gotten ugly and Frank did
not leave Sault Ste. Marie until the wee hours of the morning. Speaking of
preferential treatment, while at the CCHA playoffs I overheard a Bowling
Green fan state the calls should go their way because LSSU was already in
the NC$$ tourney.

        I think the Eastern teams play a different style of hockey than do
the western teams. I believe even Jack Parker and Shawn Walsh has said this.
The Western teams, for the most part, play a more physical style than the
eastern teams. The Eastern officials seeing Eastern teams more, call an
"Eastern" style game. I would think the reverse is also true. Perhaps Mr.
Cole should do some western games in the regular season. Bill Crawford did
state that the Lakers were more afraid of having an Eastern ref than having
to play the two games. There is no "one" style of play that is the best and
that is what makes hockey great. Officials are to be unbiased but I wonder
how that can happen if all they see is one style. Do referees do games in
both conferences of the NHL? How would you know if you liked broccoli or not
if your mother didn't make you eat it:) Granted the rules and the equipment
are the same but the game is played differently. I would like to think that
the above is the reason for the apparent coincidence between Frank and "bad
officiating" and not a genuine dislike for a team.

        I have been lurking on this group long enough to know that the the
members here are quite knowledgeable about hockey and appreciate their views
on the game. Were there any Laker fans at the game that could give their views?
Hockey is life, Everything else are just details

Larry Gilbert
LSSU '94