From:
Blackthorn Zaban <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 23 Mar 1996 17:09:40 -0500
Once again the Women's ECAC has shown why they lack the necessary vision to
lead this sport from the depths of obscurity.  I may be old fashioned but I
was of the opinion that the rewards should go to those players who exhibit
the skills and abilities that most benefit their teams and themselves in that
order.

Although Laurie Belliveau is an excellent goalie who unfortunately is on a
team that gives her no support, the real goalie who turned their team around
was Megan Smith.  Providence was merely an also ran until Smith took over in
the nets.  She lifted her team from mediocrity to the finals.  Being the
subject of target practice should not be the ultimate criteria.

I am at a loss to figure out the total love that the East has with Laurie
Baker.  While I also agree that she is an excellent player and a dynamic
force on the ice she is also supported by unlimited ice time and two
excellent wings who feed her like a suckling.
How does a player who has a 3:1 goals to assist ratio in ECAC play and a 2:1
goals to assist ratio in overall qualify as an all-star.  Laurie Baker was
the same player when Providence was a mediocre team and they still couldn't
win with her.  The league overlooked Barbara Gordon, (who also boosted her
team upon her return and catapulted Meghan Sittler and herself to the scoring
leadership), Andrea Blakely and Mandy Pfeifer and others who not had only
better numbers but contributed more to their teams.  The same can be said of
rookie of the year honors, overlooking Erin Magee, Carisa Zaban and Dana
Antal who also outscored Laurie Baker.

Although I think Laura Halderson is a great coach and George Crowe did an
admirable job for Dartmouth under the circumstances, the true surprise this
year was Cornell.   Taking a team that was supposed to finish 10th and
placing them 4th in league play is a feat worth of Gary Barnett.  Colby
finished only one spot better than last year and lower than predicted.
 Dartmouth moved up but finished in approximately the same spot.  There was
only one real surprise in the league that was Cornell, by overlooking Julie
you have created two.

I have sat back and watched the awards given out week after week.  I have
even openly criticized the selection process as being not based in reality.
  Apparently the people in the ECAC have taken to heart the messages sent to
the digest on the internet.  But people, reality is down not up.