From:
Bill Schneller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Schneller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Mar 1996 08:53:12 -0500
Just a few additions to Mike's PC preview-

At 02:05 AM 3/21/96 -0100, Mike Machnik wrote in part:

>PROVIDENCE
>* Experienced defense - four seniors - led by Justin Gould (#4), Scott
>Balboni (#5), Erik Sundquist (#7), and Jay Kenney (#10).  Junior Hal Gill
>(#3) is one of the biggest players in the nation at 6'6" 222 and is an
>imposing force in front of his net.  Friars do not get caught out of
>position very often.

The program lists Gill as 6'6" but I've been told he's actually an inch
taller. Either way he has quite a reach. Usually paired with 6'3" Erik
Sundquist.  Holding their sticks with their arms extended you'd swear they
can reach from sideboard to sideboard. Gill loves the poke check but you
will rarely see him go down to block a shot.

>* Goalie Dan Dennis (#31), a junior, is having his best season ever and was
>named All-Hockey East.  He is a decent-sized, standup goalie who can win a
>game on his own, although I have seen him play badly this season too.

Part of Dennis' success of late has been his controlling any rebounds he
gives up, a big problem during PC's midseason slump.  If he can't do that
the second chances that result can put PC in a hole.

>* Only Russ Guzior (#17) finished in the top 20 or so in HE scoring.  His
>19 goals lead the team.  7 players are in double figures, all in the teens.
>
>* Offense is led by first round pick Joe Hulbig (#11), 6'3" 214.  He uses
>his size well and will go to the net, but he also has a good shot and will
>sometimes play point on the power play.  "Only" 14-21--35, but has
>10-10--20 in his last ten games.

Hulbig can be a crushing checker. A big hit (or better yet contributing to a
score) early on helps him stay focused and improves his play the rest of the
way. One of my biggest regrets about Hulbig's career was that I never saw a
mid-ice collision between him and BU's Mike Grier - just to see who would
still be standing.  I expect that would be as close to the equivalent of an
earthquake as I'd want to get. Oh well, there's still hope they'll meet once
more before this season is over.  B-)

>* Other forwards to watch: crafty Stefan Brannare (#27), diminutive hustler
>Mike Omicioli (#26, 5'5" 160 freshman, had 2-3--5 in the BU & Maine games),
>banger Travis Dillabough (#19), senior Dennis Burke (#8), and junior David
>Green (#11).  Friars do not score a lot of goals, but they make their

>chances count and have the talent to score.
>
>* Special teams: HE PP .195 (5th), PK .803 (3rd).

The PP can range from fantastic to miserable from one chance to the next.
I've not been able to put my finger on what makes the difference here.

>* Key is probably to get ahead early and shut down the opponent with tight
>defense and good netminding.  If the game is boring, you know it is going
>PC's way.  If they fall behind and have to play catchup, the increased pace
>and opening up of the game could spell doom.  Special teams could decide
>the game.

I pretty much agree with Mike here. I would add that PC _must_ be down no
more than a goal after one if this is to be a game. They don't have the guns
to come from much further back although they won't quit trying. But, if they
can be up one or two, allowing them to concentrate on defense, their chances
for success increase immensely.

As far as PC's success depending on the game being boring, well, some of us
have learned since Coach Pooley's arrival to like our hockey to look that
way.  Good D and the ability to bend but not break, can be exciting in its
own way - especially if they earn you the W when the night is over. It's
something the Friar faithful have come to appreciate. If you liked the
Devil's Cup run last year you'll like this team.

Bill Schneller

Go Friars!