From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Mar 1996 22:52:04 -0100
At 5:24 PM 3/20/96, Tony Biscardi wrote:
>After calling many stations in an attempt to find out/pressure
>them to show the East Regional Hockey Tourney (or even a West
>Regional on delayed broadcast at 3 AM or something), Sportschannel
>explained to me that they tried, but were not allowed to show
>any East Regional games because the NC$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ has
>imposed a 200 mile black-out around Albany of any of the
>Eastern games.

Now that is interesting.  I spoke with someone from SportsChannel yesterday
(Tuesday), and he said that they had considered broadcasting the games but
that their program schedule was too full with the other commitments they
had.  He did not mention a blackout.

Also, we know that NESN and other local stations have broadcast games from
Worcester before - games that did not come close to selling out.

Maybe you harassed them too much, Tony, and they lied to get you off the
phone. :-)

I've spoken to WNDS-50, WABU-68, NESN, and SC.  Only WNDS is showing any
games - Lowell Saturday and, should they win, Sunday as well.  Both live.
And, in a conversation with Tim Burton of HE today, he mentioned that WNDS
was the only station he knew of that was broadcasting any games in the
Boston area.

Mike Machnik                   [log in to unmask]            *HMM* 11/13/93