From:
"<BRUNO>" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
<BRUNO>
Date:
Wed, 28 Feb 1996 23:23:29 -0500
>        That said, in my years as an Harvard student and alum, I have
>discovered the same thing that BRUNO undoubtedly has.  Namely that,
>whatever my intentions, people sometimes get very defensive about their
>schools whenever I said anything about the Ivy league or my alma mater
>(which is why I'm usually pretty tight-lipped about those subjects).

This part of your reply  perhaps brings a couple of things to mind.  The
whole thing began with some persons being a bit disgruntled at what they
considered the stiffling effect of being in the same conference with IVY
LEAGUE schools.....right?......How refreshing is it to note that an
attitude like those of the ANCIENT EIGHT (i love that) is still around?  I
mean come on, if Ha'vad wanted to buy the best coaching staff in the
universe and stock it with the finest scouts and their picks.....they
certainly have enough resources to accomplish it..but that's not the
point...now is it?  But it IS the point when others become defensive and
even down right rude when mention of the self imposed "conditions of
athletic participation" are said to be lowering the quality of competition.

And although the differences in classroom experiences may or may not be as
qualitatively different as one might think between Ivy and non-Ivy.....it
is ALL about the atmosphere that surrounds their (IVY) understanding of the
role of academics, and the role (with emphasis) of athletics.

Before heading up to New England, I attended Univ. of  Miami - The sunny
one - and No. 1 football, No. 1 baseball does nothing at an interview....so
here I am now.

Enough of this.......