From:
Keith Instone <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Keith Instone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Feb 1996 16:29:12 -0500
OK. You may recall that I sent out a survery a while
ago asking who wanted to play hockey or do other ice
activities on the idle Friday of the NCAA Championships
in Cincinnati this year. I've been real busy, but I
finally do have some results and some ideas for what we
can actually do.

SURVEY SAYS.....

About 25 people responded (or their rep responded for them).
15 want to play hockey. 20 want to ice skate.  10 would play
broomball. Yes, most people were willing to do more than 1 thing.

Of the hockey players, 1 person needed equipment and 1 person was
willing to bring extra. So for the most part people can bring
their own.

Plenty of goalies: 5 people volunteered, but several were "only if
I have to" responses.

Six people were willing to cart other people to the arena; 2 would
need a ride, so we are OK on transporation.

No one really cared what time of day we played.

WHICH MEANS...

15 isn't enough people to rent ice for hockey. But there certainly
is an interest in doing some other things. And it looks like most
people can drive a bit to do something.

MY SUGGESTION

The Icelands Sports Complex. This place has everything:

Arcade games
Sports Bar
Basketball
Restaurant
Ice Skating
Golf simulators
Ice hokcey
Inline hockey
Lazer tag
Pro shop
Soccer
Volleyball
Two sheets of ice

It is located at Exit 14 on I75, north of Cincy. That's about 20 minutes
away from downtown, I am told.

Some of the things HOCKEY-L can do as a group here:

Rent a "break out room" (4 hours/$150) as a place to meet
  and eat and play bingo or whatever.
Play open ice hockey (12:15 pm - 1:45 pm) for $5. You must have
  your own equipment and it is limited to 24 people, so we have
  to get there early to beat out the locals.
Go to public skating (11a-1p, 3:30-5:30p, 7-11p). With 10 or
  more people (prebooked) we can get the group rate, $4/$1.50
  for skates.
Possibly play floor hockey on the small soccer field ($35/hour)
Play basketball, volleyball or soccer ($30-$50/hour)
Get a group discount on lazer tag ($4 per round per person)
Possibly play inline hockey (I have no details yet)
Drink beer and par-tay. (^:

OK, LET'S PLAY

Just wait a minute. *Do not* respond to me yet. I will send out
another survey form to gather more data from you soon. For now, think
about what you are willing to pay for. Then wait for my next email.

But here is a possible schedule to consider:

Arrive at 11 am and do either public skating or ice hockey
Rent a room from 2-6 pm for chatting, eating, etc. Some people could
   play lazer tag, hit the bar, play golf, pinball at this time.
Play inline/floor hockey (volleyball, whatever) from 6-7
Public skating from 7pm on for the late comers

Keith