From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Dec 1995 09:01:41 -0500
At 01:00 AM 12/4/95 EST, Frank Brickelmaier Jr. wrote:

>While I have been pleased with the recent play of Maine, I find the it
>disturbing that two players have decided that it is not worth playing for this
>team.  Wayne Conlan has never really received much ice time anyway.  Why in
>one's senior year would one decide to leave a team which has the potential
to go
>to the Phinal Phour ?  Also, if Barry Clukey was so upset about being sctatched
>from the championship game versus Boston University wouldn't it have made more
>sense to leave earlier than four or five games into this year ?  I hope my
>concerns are unwarrented but I think this is a very negative scenario.

RE: Conlan.. perhaps he felt that as a "senior" he deserved to have more ice
time, and that Clukey's exit made it easier for him to leave the team
because Clukey had already broken those "unwritten" rules.  I too was
surprised Conlan left.

RE: Clukey.. not only was he stratched versus BU, but also versus Michigan.
Before quitting the team Clukey talked about his feelings, and he hadn't
forgot about it, but he had tried to work hard in the off-season and the
preseason to improve his playing.  He did do that, Barry was definately
improved this season, but Maine has so many forwards, they needed to try out
different combinations.  He missed a game or two because of that, then in
his next game, Walsh changed up the lines in the middle, and Clukey was put
on the fourth line and by that time he pretty much had it Walsh.

As far as it being negative or positive.. I think in a weird way it's
positive. This team feels very comfortable with the guys on the ice right
now, and everything I've heard tells me that the "spirit" of the team is as
good as it has been all year.  I think it's good for the team to get rid of
those players who perhaps not as committed to the team, but negative in the
sense that it does create a distraction.  We'll see, since Clukey left Maine
is 7-1-1, and since Conlan left Maine is 2-0 with convincing wins.

>Frank
>University of Maine
>Class of '92
>
>HOCKEY-L is for discussion of college ice hockey;  send information to
>[log in to unmask], The College Hockey Information List.

---
Deron [log in to unmask]

--> University of Maine Hockey (12-3-2)
--> http://maine.maine.edu/~dtread41/mehockey.html
--> Owner/GM:  Maine Mariners (EHH Fantasy League)