From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Oct 1995 11:55:20 -0400
I was doing a little investigating to find out whether I was right in
believing that Merrimack has the longest overtime unbeaten streak
going in DivI.  The answer is yes, they do.  Here are the leaders:

LONGEST DIVISION I HOCKEY OVERTIME UNBEATEN STREAKS (10/13/95)

RK TEAM              GMS  RECORD  LAST OVERTIME LOSS
1  Merrimack          17  8-0-9   2/22/92 5-6 vs Northeastern
2  Western Michigan   15  5-0-10  3/14/92 3-4 vs Miami (CCHA Qfinal)
3  Maine              13  3-0-10  2/19/93 6-7 vs Boston University
4  Northern Michigan  12  3-0-9   11/30/91 4-5 at Colorado College

NOTES: All games are vs DivI teams.  No other DivI team has gone two
seasons without losing an overtime game.  Maine's streak includes
three ties that were later forfeited during 1993-94.

There are two things I find interesting about this:

1) The success achieved by the teams right behind Merrimack - all have
made NCAA appearances in the last few years and some have done very
well.  Merrimack hasn't been of the same caliber as these teams, yet
they rank at the top of the list.

2) WMU, Maine, and NMU have all built their streaks largely on ties
with none of the teams having more than 33% wins among their unbeaten
OT games (i.e. WMU 5 of 15).  But for Merrimack, wins account for
almost 50% of the streak.  Again, surprising for a team that has had
as little success to date as they have had, at least compared to the
other three teams.

In fact, the Merrimack streak was 8-0-4 before 5 ties last season.

Feel free to use this in any way you wish...but tell me if you do, I'd
be curious to know.
Mike Machnik                 [log in to unmask]           [log in to unmask]
*****      Unofficial Merrimack Hockey home page located at:        *****
***** http://www.tiac.net/users/machnik/MChockey/MChockey.html      *****